UniCote® is a registered trademark of Selection Steel.
Selection Steel is an independently owned company with almost 50 years’ experience in the Australian steel and building industries. Over the course of four decades, we’ve become known for our high quality, world-class products.
We provide customers with a diverse range of leading-edge products that meet the varying needs of the Australian building industry. We know the products our clients need and hold strategic relationships with global innovators to constantly add to our innovation credentials and our ever-expanding range.
At Selection Steel we take an active approach to sustainability, in our work with our various partner mills.
We demonstrate our commitment in many ways, including but not limited to:
- We supply best in class products that meet the highest Australian standards and withstand Australia’s harshest weather conditions. These include Unicote®, Unicote® LUX, Unicote® Coastal and Unicote® Extreme. Our products reduce the embodied carbon cost of the finished building through reduced maintenance and extended product life.
- We select and process only the highest quality steel products. Our robust supply chain ensures we work with some of the world’s leading suppliers, including Dongkuk Steel, Posco Steeleon, and Fletcher Steel.
- Our steel products can be certified with an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD). EPD’s quantify environmental information on a product’s life cycle and its impact on the environment, and can be used to attract a Green Star credit. They contain an assessment of embodied energy, greenhouse gas estimate, global warming effects and often have an environmental impact rating that takes account of, for example, varying regional factors. They also track the so-called stewardship of a product – i.e. the relative sustainability of mining, transport, energy use, manufacturing, waste disposal and other factors involved in its generation.
- Across our sites, we partner with select third-party logistics providers to distribute products nationwide. Our selection criteria include examining each partner’s commitment to sustainability, particularly fleet age, maintenance programs and efficiency.
- We can assist with product recommendations across our broad suite of applications to facilitate sustainable design solutions for the built environment, and we pride ourselves on a best-in-class warranty experience for our customers, and their customers.
- The technical expertise of our partner mills offer the most robust, durable products and solutions for every project. For example, mill Electric Arc Furnaces use the optimum level of recyclable materials in steel products without compromising quality.
- Our painted product suite offers optimised colour choice to maximise Total Solar Reflectance, minimising urban heat island effects.
- Our investment in production technology and software brings a new experience to the design and manufacture of both steel, and non-ferrous, building components.
- We are supported by the commitment to the sustainability objectives of our partner mills, and make available relevant Environmental Reports, as required.
- Above all, we are committed to promoting a culture of hard work, honesty, flexibility and ethical behaviour across all our endeavours. We are determined to find new ways to tackle challenges. Our honesty builds trust amongst customers, suppliers and employees, and we hold proud our industry knowledge.